Trump Cancels Mexico Tariffs While Threatening China on Trade
Trump on Squawk Box

Trump Cancels Mexico Tariffs While Threatening China on Trade

Today was going to be the day that a new 5% tariffs on all imported goods from Mexico was supposed to go into effect (before climbing another five points monthly until it reached 25%). However President Trump announced on Friday that he was canceling that plan after our southern neighbors allegedly agreed to a deal to help curb immigration through the country.

In tweets sent by the President on Friday, he wrote, “I am pleased to inform you that The United States of America has reached a signed agreement with Mexico. The Tariffs scheduled to be implemented by the U.S. on Monday, against Mexico, are hereby indefinitely suspended. Mexico, in turn, has agreed to take strong measures to stem the tide of Migration through Mexico, and to our Southern Border.” He continued, “This is being done to greatly reduce, or eliminate, Illegal Immigration coming from Mexico and into the United States. Details of the agreement will be released shortly by the State Department.” Over the weekend a New York Times report suggested that parts of the deal the President is touting were actually agreed to months ago. Trump has denied those claims, adding that the Times “will do anything possible to see our Country fail!” and again calling the paper “The Enemy of the People.”

While Wall Street celebrated the trade news, it’s also worth noting that the announcement of the canceled tariffs came on the same day that the new jobs reports showed that the U.S. added just 75,000 jobs in May. That’s much lower than the 180,000 expected and the 223,000 the economy averaged on a monthly basis last year. Nevertheless the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed 200 points higher on Friday.

Unfortunately, although the Mexico trade front has brightened, the President is putting new pressure on China. In an interview with CNBC, President Trump said his administration would announce new tariffs on Chinese imports if President Xi Jinping were to pull out of this month’s G20 summit in Osaka, Japan. Trump explained that the U.S. currently has tariffs on “35% to 40%” Chinese goods and says that will increase “another 60%” if a deal isn’t reached soon. Speaking to the network’s Squawk Box program, the President also spoke favorably of his tariff policies, saying, “People haven’t used tariffs, but tariffs are a beautiful thing when you are the piggy bank, when you have all the money. Everyone is trying to get our money.”

At this time it doesn’t seem that markets are too concerned about Trump’s latest China threats (or the weak jobs report) as the Dow is currently up 0.5%. Of course that could quickly change if the expected G20 meeting doesn’t go to President Trump’s liking or doesn’t happen at all. Therefore Wall Street will certainly be kept on its toes as the U.S.’s trade policy continues to surprise.

Leave a Reply

The "Email" field is empty, you must enter some text to proceed.The text you entered in the "Email" field appears to be invalid, please edit it and try again
Get the Latest News Delivered to Your Inbox

2025 SoFi Checking and Savings Review

 Ever since I started taking an interest in the FinTech sector, one company whose name I’ve seen pop up over and over again is SoFi. That was later sent into overdrive as the company has not only become a household name thanks to its stadium naming rights deal but also because of the company’s continued product expansions. The most interesting development in my mind is SoFi’s acquisition of Golden Pacific...
Travelers with two Best Western Credit Cards

Best Western Debuts Two New Rewards Credit Cards

After pausing applications for their previous rewards card, the hotel chain Best Western has unveiled a new pair of rewards credit cards with a new issuer. About the Best Western cards: Best Western is partnering with First Bank & Trust and Mercury Financial to introduce two new co-branded credit cards. First up is the no-annual-fee Best Western Rewards Visa Signature Card. With this card, customers can 4x points on Best...
Marriott Bonvoy card and a woman on vacation

Marriott Bonvoy Bold Card Launches Travel Contest

Chase and Marriott Bonoy have unveiled a special contest while continuing to offer its best-ever welcome bonus. About the welcome bonus and Bold Chat Court Contest: Marriott Bonvoy and Chase have launched a special opportunity called the Bold Chat Court contest. As part of this contest, 10 lucky travelers will be awarded 500,000 Marriott Bonvoy points (for a total of 5 million) as well as $5,000. For this contest, the...
Bilt and All Reward logos

Bilt Adds 2 New Transfer Partners Including First 3:2 Transfer Rate

Bilt is once again expanding its travel transfer rewards program — and is even breaking the mold with one new partner. About the new additions to Bilt: This week, Bilt launched partnerships with two more travel brands: TAP Air Portugal and Accor. As a result, Bilt members will now be able to transfer their points to Miles&Go and ALL Reward, respectively. In total, Bilt now has 18 transfer partners including 13...
PayPal Debit Card app

PayPal Debit Card Review: Earn Stackable 5% Cash Back

In recent weeks, PayPal debuted an updated debit card product (perhaps you've seen the incessant Will Ferrell commercials for it during football games?). With the launch of this card, the company known for online payments is encouraging customers to pay with them anywhere. To encourage such behavior, the debit card allows cardholders to earn 5% cashback — although, as you can imagine, there are some important restrictions on that. So,...